(Update 09.16.2021) Most times, the webcam that comes with a modern laptop is sufficient for teletherapy. If you feel that you need to upgrade and purchase a separate webcam, we recommend the Logitech C930e Webcam.
Why do we like this webcam?
- On camera video processing. Your video needs to be processed in order to be sent over the internet. It takes resources to process your video. When the processing is performed on the camera’s hardware, it does not take the resources from your computer. In our opinion, this is a required feature when buying a webcam, especially on slower computers.
- Automatic low light correction will make you look better while improving the quality of your video. The C930e uses Logitech’s Rightlight 2 technology to improve clarity in various lighting environments, even in low light.
- Smooth video recording at 30 frames per second. This prevents jerky or jittery videos.
- High definition quality video recording at 1080p. Anything more is overkill.
- Automatic focus with face tracking technology will automatically keep you in focus.
- Wide recording area for times you need more space. The C930e webcam’s field of view is 90-degrees.
- Stereo microphone provides better sound quality for your videos.
We looked at factors such as features, quality, and cost. This is not the most expensive webcam or has the most bells and whistles but it posses what you need to produce excellent results for teletherapy. Costing about $130 USD, in our opinion, it is the best overall webcam choice for teletherapy.
Less expensive option: If you’re looking to spend a little less money, our budget recommendation is the Logitech HD Pro C920S for about $70 USD. This is the predecessor to the recommended Logitech C930e Webcam and delivers many of the same features.
Are you looking to improve the video quality for your teletherapy sessions? Here’s an article with 4 ways to improve your video quality.
If you’re looking for free therapy materials, check out the Free Therapy Materials for Speech-Language Pathologists Facebook Group.